Dehumidification in the food industry to preserve the quality of food, especially packaged foods. Also, the shelf life of processed food is reduced if moisture gets into the food. In modern plants, the processing machinery is capable of creating a vacuum during the process, preventing entry fo moisture. However, it is safer to reduce the moisture of the environment for any such applications.
Applications of dehumidifiers in food industry
Few of the applications of food dehumidifiers are as below.
- During the process of confectionary and bakery items such as sweets, it is necessary to keep a low humidity level. During packing the items, if moisture enters into the packing, the life of the item is drastically reduced.
- Processing and packaging of dates also require low humidity environment to keep the quality and to have a longer life.
- In the processing plants of meat and poultry, condensation of air happens if the moisture content is high. This will affect the machinery as well as the quality of the process. Hence the standards including HACCP standards recommend low humidity levels. We recommend condensation dehumidifiers for meat processing and poultry processing industries.
- Reducing the humidity can lower the frost and ice formation on the stored goods.
- During the manufacture of chocolate also, the moisture should be very low up to the wrapping process. As you can imagine, if the chocolate absorbs moisture before individual wrapping, the chocolate will be spoilt in a couple of days. So chocolate factories definitely require dehumidifiers.
Which types of dehumidifiers to use in the food industry?
The major types of dehumidifiers are just processing the internal air and recirculating. In such cases, there will not be any fresh air intake from outside. There are types which take fresh air from outside and process before passing into the food processing area. If you are using such a machine, you will need additional filters before the air intake to ensure the quality of the air which comes into the processing area.
By way of operation, there are two types of dehumidifiers viz. condensation dehumidifiers and desiccant dehumidifiers. Generally for a low-temperature application we use desiccant dehumidifiers (Typically below 10°C). For all applications above 10°C, we can consider condensation dehumidifiers. However, this is only a general guideline and please contact us for a free evaluation.
Reduce Frost and ice formation on stored goods
The food industry involves cold rooms, walk-in freezers, ultra low freezers etc. In all such cases, frost and ice formation happen on the stored goods. This is due to the solidification of the moisture particles. This causes inconvenience to the operators, increase the energy cost etc. A dehumidifier can drastically reduce this problem by reducing the moisture content in the air.
Reduce defrost cycle of cooling units
As you may know, the cooling units in the cold room and walk-in freezers go into defrost cycles, a couple of times a day. This is to defrost the ice, failing which the machine may fail causing internal damage. By reducing the moisture in the air, it is possible to reduce the defrost cycle, thus saving energy cost as well.
VackerGlobal supplies all types of dehumidifiers in Dubai, Abudhabi, Sharjah, Alain, Ajman, Ras Al Khaimah etc. Also, we supply these dehumidifiers in other Middle East countries covering Saudi Arabia (Riyadh, Dammam & Jeddah), Doha, Muscat, Kuwait, Bahrain etc. through our own offices or through distributors.
we are inquiring about dehumidifiers for the process of dry aging meat in our chills. would you have units to carry out this process. Could you forward some information on your products please.
Thank you for your interest in our products. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org so that our engineer will contact you for further discussion.