We offer Wireless Temperature Monitoring system with WiFi or Radio Frequency. These are for recording the temperature and for generating phone & SMS alerts. These are useful for monitoring cold rooms, warehouses, refrigerators, freezers etc. We have multiple models operating with WiFi, Radio Frequency, Zigbee etc. The sensors transmit the temperature readings to a central system. through Zigbee communication technology and will involve minimum wiring and hence will not disturb daily operations. The system can also be connected to a Web-based or cloud-based monitoring system to monitor the parameters across different warehouses in various cities.
Real-Time Wireless Temperature and Humidity Monitoring
The wireless temperature monitoring system is easy to install consisting a set of transmitters and receivers. Major technical features are described below.
- The wireless monitoring system consists of receivers and multiple transmitters. The transmitters consist of sensors.
- The whole system is a data acquisition system. Each sensor acts as a separate data logger.
- No power connection required for the sensors. They operate on batteries. Hence same can be placed anywhere as per convenience without any wiring.
- One receiver can collect data from up to 60 transmitters.
- Different warehouse, cold rooms, sites etc. can be configured in the same system.
- Full secure access to data is possible via the Web or Intranet.
- The wireless monitoring system utilizes Zigbee protocol which has a communication distance of 1 km in a straight line without obstructions.
- The system is extremely powerful in both large and small environments.
- Continuous monitoring of your temperature, humidity, and the differential pressure is possible in the same system.
- The system can be connected to a cloud-based monitoring solution. Alternatively, the customer can install the entire software on your server.
- Entirely compliant with the requirements of FDA code 21 CFR part 11, regarding electronic signatures and data security. This is mainly applicable if you are using the system in the USA.
- Can be programmed to 4 levels of alarm thresholds.
- Alert notifications can be generated as a phone call, email or SMS. If the temperature or humidity goes above or below the limits, it will generate a phone call, SMS, and email alerts. Also, it can generate local audible alert through a siren or hooter.
- If the wireless network is not available, the data will be recorded in the sensor. Once the wireless network is detected, the data will be transferred to the network. This prevents loss of any data.
- The battery will last a couple of years. Battery is rechargeable
Applications of wireless temperature monitoring system:
- Monitoring of warehouse, cold room, walk-in freezer, medical refrigerator etc.
- Monitoring of Hotel guest rooms.
- Monitoring and alert for Hospital patient rooms, Isolation rooms etc.
- Tracking and recording the temperature of thermally insulated boxes for medicines and vaccines.
- Monitoring, recording and alert for Warehouses used to store medicines, food, cosmetics etc.
- Recording and alert for Restaurants which require HACCP standards.
- Monitoring, recording and alerts for Cold rooms and chiller rooms for storage of medicines, vaccines, food items etc.
- Monitoring of reefer trucks and refrigerated vans. The sensor can be mounted in the truck. When the truck inside the warehouse, data from the truck will be transferred to the network. Once the truck moves out of the warehouse, the data will be stored inside the sensor only. Once the truck comes back to the warehouse the data will be automatically transferred to the network.
- We can also provide Data Analytics services to suggest improvements in the efficiency of your operations.
Types of Wireless temperature recording systems
There are mainly two types of wireless recording systems, as explained below:
Radio Frequency (Rf) Temperature monitoring systems (Zigbee, Z-Wave etc)
In radiofrequency (Rf) temperature recording systems, the mode of data transmission is radiofrequency waves. Rf is only for transmitting the data from each sensor to a central receiver within the premises. There will be a central receiver for receiving all the data from all sensors. The sensors will have a transmitter for transmitting the data. Depending on the size of the warehouse, there will be a number of transmitters and receivers. The communication range between a transmitter to a receiver in direct line of sight will be 600 to 800 meters. However, any wall or racks in between them severely affect data transmission.
If there are a lot of racks or obstructions, you will require additional receivers. A radio frequency temperature monitoring system is ideal for a big open warehouse with limited obstructions in between. One receiver can take inputs from 30 to 50 transmitters. This makes it very cost-effective. If there are a lot of racks in between, you will need to add a lot of receivers which makes it costly.
Similarly, if you are using it in a hospital having a lot of rooms, you may need a lot of receivers. For example, if you have one fridge in a room, you will need one receiver and one transmitter. However, if you have 10 refrigerators in a single room, you will need one receiver and 10 sensor transmitters. The receiver is much costlier than a sensor transmitter. Hence while selecting a Radiofrequency monitoring system, you will have to consider all these aspects.
Advantages of Rf based temperature monitoring, recording & alert systems
- This will be more economical in the case of assets like a large warehouse. One receiver can take data from 30 to 40 sensors. Hence this will be cheaper than WiFi or wired models.
- The sensors are generally battery operated. The battery may last 12 to 24 months, based on the manufacturer.
- As these sensors do not have any wires, it is very easy to place them in any area of a warehouse and also to relocate them.
- Adding more sensors to the same system is easy, subject to limitations of the receiver.
Disadvantages of Rf based temperature monitoring, recording & alert systems
- The main limitation is that communication between the sensors and receiver needs a direct unobstructed path. If there are multiple racks or walls between them, communication is not possible.
- For small assets, this will not be economical compared to a wired system or WiFi system. eg. If you need monitoring of only two refrigerators, it will need one receiver and two sensors. However, if you have 30 refrigerators in the same area, it will still need only one receiver with 30 sensors.
- It is not well suited for buildings such as hospitals with walls between every room. Each room will need a separate receiver which makes it very costly.
WiFi temperature monitoring and recording systems
WiFi temperature recording & monitoring system uses wifi communication channel for transmitting data. All other functions are more or less same. But network connectivity is through WiFi channel. The system can be connected to any secured or open WiFi network utilizing a normal WiFi router. These devices are having its own memory and data is collected at programmed intervals. The WiFi transmission rate also can be programmed as per customer requirements. The email alert messages will be generated when the monitored parameter exceeds the programmed levels.
Advantages of a WiFi temperature recording alert system
Compared to other models, the WiFi models have the following advantages:
- Some of the models work entirely on battery power for a couple of months (based on WiFi transmission frequency).
- The customer can easily relocate battery-powered models around within the vicinity of the WiFi network.
- If the WiFi connection is lost, the data will be saved on the device until the connection is restored. When the connection is restored, the data will be transferred to the network.
- Various alerts viz. low battery power, low or high temperature/humidity, loss of main power, loss of WiFi connection etc. can be programmed which will alert Email, SMS & Phone call alerts.
- WiFi connection is available in any warehouse or buildings. Hence it is easy to set up.
- The data can be saved in a cloud-based server which can be downloaded to the customer’s local computer.
Disadvantages of a WiFi temperature monitoring and alert system
- Compared to Rf models, battery life is very short since WiFi transmission requires a lot of power. Hence it is ideal to always connect to a power backup for critical applications.
- It will be difficult to place in challenging locations such as the top of a rack in the middle aisle in a warehouse. Mainly it will be difficult to pull power cables.
- A strong, uninterrupted WiFI network is required for seamless transmission. The WiFi networks will be normally using many other devices other than this monitoring system.
- During a power failure or network failure, it will not give any alert on high or low temperature. Most of the Rf models and wired models also have the same disadvantage. In some models, you can connect a battery-powered SIM card based alert system which will work even if there is no power supply. If your requirements are extremely critical, you may select these models from us.
FAQ on Wireless temperature monitoring system:
- How can I install a remote temperature monitoring without internet? There are temperature monitoring systems operating with SIM cards. They will transfer the data to cloud-based software. Also, this system can generate phone call and SMS alerts. You do not need a local internet connection. However, the data is stored over the internet. If you absolutely do not want over the internet, you can also use a SIM card based system which will send you temperature readings at certain intervals. Also, these systems can send you a message if the temperature goes above the limits.
- How can I select a remote temperature monitoring system without cloud-based software? There are remote monitoring systems available with software installed in your server. In this case, the date will be entirely in your server. The readings will not be transmitted through the internet at all. We can connect the sensors through your internal network to the server.
- How to decide whether to select a wired or wireless temperature monitoring system? If you require monitoring of only a few numbers of assets, you may go for a wired system. Examples are walk-in cold rooms, few medical refrigerators etc. However, if you require monitoring of many assets or large assets such as a warehouse, it is better to go for a wireless system. The main advantage of a wireless system is flexibility and scalability. Please note that it is ideal to have battery-powered sensors without the need for power supply. In this case, the installation is very simple.
- What are the pros and cons of wired and wireless temperature monitoring systems? (A) Wired systems: Pros (a) Suitable for a small number of assets (b) Economical if you require only very few sensors (c) Not dependant on the WiFi network (d) May not have an annual software charge; Cons (a) Difficult to place at challenging locations such as the top of a rack in the middle of a warehouse (b) Installation requires cabling of power and network cables (c) Future scaling up will have challenges. (B) Wireless system: Pros (a) Easy installation, especially for battery-powered sensors (b) Flexibility of location for placing the sensors, especially for areas such as large warehouses. Cons (a) Slightly costlier than wired systems (b) It will have challenges in a place like a hospital with a lot of refrigerators at various places. It is ideal for places like a large warehouse (c) May have annual software fee.
- How to select a temperature monitoring system for medicines and vaccines? Mainly consider these aspects : (a) Accuracy of reading should be at least 0.5°C. Go fo better accuracy for storage of critical products (b) You should be able to change the sampling interval preferably from 1 minute onwards (c) It should generate phone and SMS alerts (d) For critical medicines, look for systems which can operate without power and internet even for generating phone and SMS calls (e) If you need local alert, look for systems which can connect to a local alarm (f) There are different types of data transfer viz. wired to a local network, WiFi, Radiofrequency and SIM card-based. (g) Check the ease of periodic calibration (d) If you are in the USA, check for compliance with 21 CFR Part11 standards.
- What is a foolproof temperature monitoring system that never fails? You can consider the most reliable system with these parameters: a system that has a battery back up with a rechargeable battery. The system has to be connected normally to the power supply. The system should work with or without power supply and internet connection or PC connection. We can connect this system to a SIM card based phone call alert system. This dialler system also will have a battery back up. This whole system will work even in case of power failure or network failure. We can provide two levels of battery back up. This will be the most reliable system with the present technology, even though we do not want to call as 100% fail-proof. Please contact us if you require this system.
Other temperature monitoring systems:
- Real-time monitoring systems for data centres and server rooms
- Real-time monitoring systems for Cold rooms and warehouses
- Refrigerator & Freezer temperature monitoring
Download technical details of Real-Time Wireless monitoring system
- Technical details of Temperature & Humidity Monitoring system (pdf document;5pages – opens in a new window)
- Technical details of the Temperature monitoring system (pdf document;5pages – opens in a new window)
For more models of single-use, disposable data loggers, please visit our online store.